Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oh NO, we got THE HEMORRHOIDS

So, I figure I talk about all the good things that come with pregnancy I should also talk about all the discomforts too.  This morning I felt alittle discomfort when I would sit down... in the back of my mind, I knew what was going on, but being the optimistic person that I am.  I decided to think about other things and convienced myself I could "magically" make the problem disappear if I didn't fret about it.  Wrong!  This afternoon we have full force hemorrhoids.

I wasn't sure what they exactly were so I looked for information online.  This is what I found.
My thoughts are in blue
Hemorrhoids are the result of varicose veins that happen to be located in or around the rectum. (umm this sounds yummy?!??!) "As pressure builds from the growing uterus, venous return of blood from the rectal area back to the heart is impeded," says Dehn. "The vessels near the rectum stretch, and as they stretch, so will the surrounding skin or mucosa (if it's internal). The skin contains a vein that may or may not have clotted blood in it. If it's purple in color and extremely painful, it's a good indicator that there's a lot of blood trapped in the hemorrhoid." ( Seriously... this is what is happening to me?)

Treatments:
■Soak in warm water. Fill the tub with plain water and soak several times a day. Do this everyday anyways.........apparently doesn't help.



■Use ice. Apply ice packs or cold compresses to your anus several times a day to help relieve swelling.
 B/C its so comfortable to sit on ice packs???

■Try witch hazel. Soak cotton pads with the astringent witch hazel and apply to your anal area. Change the pads frequently. Witch hazel is available over-the-counter at most pharmacies.
Everything I read about Witch hazel said it take 2 weeks see results....she is going to be here in 2 weeks!

■Avoid sitting for long periods of time. Sitting puts pressure on the veins in your anus and rectum. When you can, lie on your side or stand up. If you must sit, take frequent breaks. The doctor said do not stand for over 10minutes at time.... what to do, what to do


■Keep your anal area clean. Pre-moistened wipes may be more comfortable than dry toilet paper. Choose brands that don't contain perfumes or alcohol — or use medicated wipes made specifically for people who have hemorrhoids. Right b/c I actually try to NOT kept my anal area clean.Who writes this stuff?


■Try an over-the-counter hemorrhoid remedy. Ask your health care provider to recommend a suppository or hemorrhoid cream that's safe to use during pregnancy. Check I have already gone to the baby book.


Keep in mind that constipation is often the main culprit behind hemorrhoids during pregnancy. To relieve or prevent constipation:  Going number 1 and number 2 pretty much never a problem for me durning this pregnancy.






■Include plenty of fiber in your diet  check


■Drink plenty of water and other fluids  check


■Include physical activity in your daily routine check ....for the most part


■Ask your health care provider about stool softeners and fiber supplements nice "hey doc, can I get a suppository?"  because getting violated every week by another womans two fingers is not awkward enough?
 
Help!  I am going for a walk right now we have to whip this thing in the bud, literally right now!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow...I have no advice for this but I'm soooo sorry! I'll do some googling for you.

    ReplyDelete