Monday, July 14, 2014

Happy 4th of July Cayman Style




Dustin and I celebrated our 5th year of marriage this past April. ( Technically we were married in May, but we celebrate April 26th) it's a Cornelius' thing.  Anyways, we never had a "honeymoon" so Dustin surprised me with a trip to the Grand Cayman's.  Sophie didn't make the cut this year, but she will EVERY year in the future.  It's the BEST place I have ever been.  
 First, you get off the plane in the parking lot... you can exit the front or back of the plane and you walk into the airport that is about 5,000 sq ft.... maybe.  And there are Roosters and chickens everywhere at the airport.
 First day there we stopped at a little restaurant where we stayed at the Ritz- Carlton called the Silver lounge.  It was one of my favorite quick placed to stop by.  They serve you delish coffee in beautiful china cups and saucers.  I never had the same pattern twice.
 Day two, I actually got Dustin in the sun!!  This is a big deal.  We reserved a cabana from 9am to 7pm and it was worth every penny!  Seriously, Michael, our "cabana boy" washed my feet with lavender oil, covered our cabana with pink tropical flowers (after I told him I loved pink) made sure we were stocked with lots of delish little Don Julio Silver margaritas and tea ice. The day was literally Heaven.  Dustin and I paddle boarded, snorkeled, laid out and didn't do anything except enjoy each others company.  Truly good for the soul and heart.

 Our only picture together!  We don't even have that many pictures b/c we are too busy living the island life... I, Jody didn't have time to stop and take pictures!





 We ate at a restaurant called Blue.  If you can't ever eat at another place in your life you should eat at Blue by Eric Ripert.  By far the best food I have ever tasted and btw, mamma eats good food.  I started with the Tuna- Foie Gras paired with Domaine Weinbach, Pinot Blanc Reserve Alsace 2011.  Then had Crab salad with avocado, green apple and paired with Rebholz Riesling Trocken's "S" 2009.  Moved to Scallops with turnips, mitake mushrooms and smoked butter paired with Clarendelle Blanc Bordeaux 2011.  Next had Halibut poached with saffron tomato butter and Pinot Noir Rose Culaison Carneros 2011. And then the Stripe Bass OMG breaded and crusted in pumpkin "ceviche" and baja sauce; paired with Foradori Trentino 2008. Hands down the BEST bites I have eaten in 35 years of life!  Then I had the Dover Sole with almond Pistachio and brown butter paired with Clos Dubreuil Bordeaux 2009  and I had to call it quits!  I wanted the Apple and white chocolate sorbet for dessert but I couldn't literally fit another bite in my happy, full to the rim body.  
 We walked around the city down to Camana Bay, again chickens and roosters.  I swear there was a tiger in the brush... that ate a chicken but Dustin said I sounded crazy.... pretty sure it was a tiger though.
 Beautiful flowers I have never seen one that looked like a star fish!

 Views of the ocean from the walk we took to the Wharf.  So the Wharf, you need to check out if you get to the Cayman's ( which I highly recommend you do) It's a party place.  They ring a bell and 6'+ Tarpon come racing to the waters edge.  Then children from the restaurant hold tongs with fish skin on them off a wooden deck, with no railing btw... and huge fish literally jump out of the water and grab the bait off the tongs...held by tourist 4 and 5 year olds.  I am just saying, Sophie Rhea, will never do this!  That's right, I said Never!
 Snails were out of control here!  They were soooo big and sense Sophie is obsessed with snails right now, it was only fitting to send her pictures of the ones I found each day.



 The water is the most clear water I have ever seen.  We took a snorkeling adventure on a 65' Catamaran, which I high recommend.  First they took us to a submarine they sunk 3 years ago.  Seriously in the middle of the ocean.... now I'm not really an ocean water girl. Fear of sharks, but this water was so clear, I had no fear.  We saw huge snappers, grouper, sting rays, barracuda.  It was really fun.  Then after 45 minutes we loaded back onto the boat and drove another 20 minutes to the 5 finger reef. Which was amazing.  Its shaped the same way its named, like a hand with 5 fingers.  The coral is purple, yellow, green and blue.  The fish are schools not just little singles darting back in forth in the water with the waves.  Turtles were swimming, we could dive down and pick up conch shells, that were so heavy.  It was 45 minutes of living with the fish that I made me want to live under water more. After we loaded on the boat they hoisted up the sails and we sailed on the crystal water for about an hour with music and great company.  Such an amazing day! 

 Yep, I had my toe's painted like the American Flag!! Keeping a piece of my country with me even though I wasn't there to celebrate the Fourth of July!  Next year we will go back and we will have Sophie with us.  
Cheers to five years of happiness and let's be honest some tears... but in for life with my amazing husband Dustin Dean and my awesome daughter the best thing I have ever created Sophie Rhea. I love you both more than anything.  I loved my honeymoon and I love our life.  Thank you Dustin!!






No comments:

Post a Comment